Sawtry lies on the edge of a bay in the center of a half moon, from Alconbury Hill on the south side to Norman Cross, with Yaxley on the other side. The village dates back to the 10th Century, but it was only in the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st that it was named Sawtry, meaning “salt”. Prior to this time it was called “Saltreaim”.
Salt had been transported through Sawtry since before the Roman invasion. The evaporated sea water left salt in the fens which was collected and carried away by pack horse from a landing place near where the Royal Oak Public House once stood.
Sawtry Infant School was established on its current site in 1972, but the school actually dates back to 1876 when it was housed in the Old School Hall owned by the Parish Council. Children were charged 9d. per week (3½ p) to attend.
Today, Sawtry has become an ideal village for commuters, being central to both North & South of the A1M. It has a variety of nursery settings, a junior school, a community college and, of course Sawtry Infant School.
We are proud of Sawtry’s tradition, and have adopted the original ‘Saltreaim’ sign displayed on the village green, as our school logo.