Sawtry Infants as an 'Allergy Aware School'
Sawtry Infant School is an Allergy Aware School. Though we cannot be completely confident that all food items brought in are allergy free to all children in our care, this policy reflects the efforts we can go to to minimise the risk to children with allergies.
There are a considerable number of children in our school who have severe food allergies. The most common of these allergens are peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish and shellfish, soy and wheat. The most serious risk in our school is nut allergies which can cause life threatening anaphylactic reactions to some of our children.
Aims of this policy
This allergy aware policy will be managed by:
- Parents and carers being requested NOT to send food to school that contains nuts. This includes all types of nuts, peanut butter, Nutella and foods containing nuts.
- Our school kitchen and food are already nut free and we do not supply any ingredients during design and technology lessons that have nuts or nut derivatives.
- Staff supervising eating at lunchtimes.
- Children being encouraged NOT to share food.
- Children being encouraged to wash their hands before and after eating.
- Staff training in understanding and dealing with anaphylaxis (severe allergic reactions).
This policy will be promoted by:
- Parents being signposted to this website page
- Staff being informed and provided with training opportunities
- Children being informed via teachers, support staff and signs:
- To be responsible when eating and handling food both inside and outside of school.
- Helping children to understanding that foods they enjoy eating can also be dangerous to others.
- Encouraging students to support their class mates with allergies by eating and handling food responsibility.
Risk Assessment regarding Allergies
- Staff will be alert to any obvious signs of allergy prone foods (especially regarding nuts) being brought in, but they will not inspect all food brought into school.
- If staff do notice a child that has brought in food containing nuts in particular, the items will be removed and if required, an alternative will be provided from the school kitchen.