Our Science Intent - The Roots of our Science Curriculum
Our science curriculum intent is linked to our school values and sets out the core principles of our curriculum.
At Sawtry, we believe in fostering a deep and enduring love for science in every child. Our primary science curriculum is designed to instill a sense of wonder, curiosity, and appreciation for the natural world. We aim to create a learning environment where children develop a profound affection for science, nurturing a lifelong passion for exploration and discovery.
Our commitment to a loving approach in science education means:
- Creating a nurturing and supportive atmosphere where students feel safe to ask questions, express their thoughts, and make mistakes as they explore the world around them.
- Encouraging a love for nature, the environment, and all living creatures through hands-on experiences, nature walks, and outdoor learning opportunities.
- Integrating science with topics that are meaningful and relevant to students' lives, ensuring that they see the real-world applications and implications of science.
Our primary science curriculum is designed to inspire young minds, sparking their creativity and imagination as they delve into the wonders of the scientific world. We aim to inspire our students to dream big, think critically, and become the innovators of tomorrow.
Our commitment to an inspirational approach in science education means:
- Introducing children to the stories of famous scientists, inventors, and explorers who have shaped our understanding of the world, to show that anyone can make a difference through science.
- Providing opportunities for students to engage in hands-on experiments, collaborative projects, and problem-solving challenges that ignite their curiosity and passion for scientific exploration.
- Inviting guest speakers, scientists, and experts to share their experiences and insights, showing students the diverse and exciting career paths available in the world of science.
We firmly believe that learning should be an enjoyable and fun experience. Our primary science curriculum is designed to make science lessons engaging, interactive, and filled with excitement. We strive to create an environment where children look forward to their science classes and embrace learning with enthusiasm.
Our commitment to a fun approach in science education means:
- Incorporating engaging and age-appropriate experiments, hands-on activities, and interactive demonstrations that captivate students' interest and make learning enjoyable.
- Utilizing games, simulations, and multimedia resources to make complex scientific concepts accessible and entertaining.
- Celebrating the joy of discovery and exploration by organizing science weeks, themed events, and science-themed competitions that allow students to showcase their creativity and knowledge.
Whilst we value love, inspiration, and fun in science education, we remain steadfast in our commitment to providing a strong educational foundation. Our primary science curriculum aims to equip students with the knowledge, skills, and scientific literacy required for their future academic and personal success.
Our commitment to an educational approach in science education means:
- Aligning our curriculum with the National Curriculum standards to ensure that students receive a well-rounded education that prepares them for future learning and challenges.
- Teaching scientific inquiry, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills to help students approach real-world issues with a scientific mindset.
- Regularly assessing students' progress through formative and summative assessments to provide them with constructive feedback and help them reach their full potential.